Why have a praying mantis for a pet? Well, for a number of reasons:
1. Their life span is only around a year from birth to death so there isn't a long term commitment.
2. They are a pretty low maintenance pet, no real special diet or housing requirements.
3. Their food is cheap, or free if you catch it.
4. The housing requirements are minimal therefore their tanks take up very little space in the house.
5. They are educational and entertaining for adults and kids alike.
6. Great starter pet for kids, teaches responsibility without the hassle of a puppy or kitten.